Friday, October 15, 2010

Cooking in a rice cooker - Part 1.5

Choosing a rice cooker. This is my preference, ask these questions yourself. What's important to you? Besides making good rice.


Here are some criteria that are important to me:
- must have a keep warm function- non stick surface (if you are sure NO ONE will use metal utensils)
- don't buy one that's too big- don't buy one that's too small
- buy one that is the size of the rice you normally cook for the day, rice doesn't keep much more than a day even in the rice cooker
- must have a steamer tray to make veggies and heat things up with
- I like glass lids (easy to access when making something other than rice) or the lid that locks (keeps warmer for longer)
- I don't like a lot of features on it, but you might want it. This is where the expense comes in, the electronic controls beyond a moisture sensor and temperature sensor
- If I can, I look for the thickness of the pan, thicker = better (less scorching)

What else? that's about it I think. In short,
- get one the size that your family will finish in one day
- get one that has a warming function
- anything else is extra

No comments:

Post a Comment